Baščaršija (pronounced [baʃ.tʃǎr.ʃi.ja]) is Sarajevo's old bazaar and the historical and cultural center of the city. Baščaršija was built in the 15th century when Isa-Beg Isaković founded the town. The word Baščaršija derives from the Turkish language. The word "baš" which is "baş" in Turkish literally means "head", in some contexts however also "primary", "main", "capital" and "čaršija" which is "çarşı" in Turkish means "bazaar" or "market". Due to the large fire in the 19th century, today Baščaršija is half the size that it once was.
Baščaršija is located on the north bank of the river Miljacka, in the municipality of Stari Grad. On Baščaršija there are several important historic buildings, such as the Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque and sahat-kula. Today Baščaršija is the major tourist attraction of Sarajevo.
Visit the site of the Sarajevo Assassination
Probably one of the most well known locations in Sarajevo is at the bridge, Latinska Ćuprija, where Zelenih Beretki St. and Obala Kulina Bana meet. It was here at this spot that Gavrilo Princip, a member of the revolutionary organization, Young Bosna, assassinated the Austro-Hungarian Heir Apparent, Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, on June 28, 1914.
The incident, known throughout history as the Sarajevo Assassination, was the primary catalyst for the beginning of the First World War, one of the bloodiest tragedies in human history. The assassination was carried out right in front of what was then a shop named “Schiller's”, and the building now houses the Museum of Sarajevo 1878-1918.
Sarajevo City Hall (Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian: Gradska vijećnica Sarajevo / Градска вијећница Сарајево), known as Vijećnica, is located in the city of Sarajevo. It was designed in 1891 by the Czech architect Karel Pařík, but criticisms by the minister, Baron Benjamin Kallay, caused him to stop working on the project. It was initially the largest and most representative building of the Austro-Hungarian period in Sarajevo and served as the city hall. The building was reopened on May 9, 2014.
The Sacred Heart Cathedral (Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian: Katedrala Srca Isusova / Катедрала Срца Исусова) is a Christian church in Sarajevo; commonly referred as the Sarajevo Cathedral (Sarajevska katedrala / Сарајевска катедрала), it is the largest cathedral in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Vrhbosna, currently Cardinal Vinko Puljić, and center of Catholic worship in the city. The Cathedral is located in the city's Old Town district.
Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque
The Gazi Husrev-bey Mosque (Bosnian: Gazi Husrev-begova Džamija, Turkish: Gazi Hüsrev Bey Camii), is a mosque in the city of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Built in 16th century, it is the largest historical mosque in Bosnia and Herzegovina and one of the most representative Ottoman structures in the Balkans. Being the central Sarajevan mosque since the days of its construction, today it also serves as the main congregational mosque of the Islamic community of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is located in the Baščaršija neighborhood in the Stari Grad municipality and, being one of the main architectural monuments in the town, is regularly visited by tourists.
Cathedral Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos
The Cathedral Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos (Serbo-Croatian: Саборна црква Рођења Пресвете Богородице / Saborna crkva Rođenja Presvete Bogorodice) is the largest Serbian Orthodox church in Sarajevo and one of the largest in the Balkans.
Orlovaca Cave is one of the largest and most beautiful cave systems in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is only 15 kilometers of distnce from the city of Sarajevo and located near the main road to Sokolac near Sumbolovac. The road to Orlovača is a 1 km macadam road. In the immediate vicinity is the spring of the river Sinjevo, in which background are the high rocks of the hill Orlovača (1056 m.a.s.l.), with a distinctive cavern, which is almost 10,000 meters long. The excavated part of the cave is about 2,500 meters long, and has developed forms and details of cave jewelry: stalagmites, stalactites, cave pillars, draperies, various saliva, halaktites, aragonites, coral jewelry and bugs.
The Sarajevo Museum
The Sarajevo Museum is a public institute founded by Sarajevo Canton, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It now consists of the main building, with depots, and five dependencies: Svrzo’s House, the Despić House, the Jewish Museum, the Brusa Bezistan, and the Museum of Sarajevo 1878-191
City Park "Gavrilo Princip"
City Park "Gavrilo Princip" or Princip's Park is a newly built park in the city of East Sarajevo. The park was opened on Vidovdan in 2014, on the 100 year anniversary of the Great War. The park was built to meet the needs of the citizens of all generations of the city of East Sarajevo. For the youngest a playground has been built, with contents such as: swings, teeter, rubber city. Older locals can relax by playing chess on one of the two chess fields. In addition, a summer amphitheater is built in the park, benches of various shapes and sizes, fountains, with the city fountain still being under construction. Two sports courts are also being built next to the park. The central place in the park is occupied by the bust of Gavrilo Princip.
Olympic park Pale
The central feature of the park is the "Olympic Snowflake", which has 16 names of the Pali Olympic participants.
Sunnyland is the first amusement park with Alpine Coaster in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is located near the capital city of Sarajevo, on the Olympic Mountain Trebević. From the city center to the great entertainment it only takes a five minute drive.
The main attraction is Alpine Roller Coaster which operates on principle of gravity and can reach speeds of up to 40 km/h. Adrenaline ride, an experience to remember! That’s the best way to describe the experience of riding the Alpine Roller Coaster. Within Sunnyland, beside the main attraction, there are also restaurant Oxygen, café Noova, playroom Magic Forest, souvenir shop, outdoor playground, promenade, a natural climbing rock and many other attractions.
The Olympic Museum of B&H was established with the aim of permanently preserving the memory of the organization and realization of the XIV Winter Olympic Games (ZOI) held in 1984 in the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
From 1984 to 1992, the Museum acted in a representative villa in the center of Sarajevo, which prominent Czech architect Karlo Parzik designed for Sarajevo lawyer and politician Nikol Mandic, who, as Prime Minister of NDH and a national enemy, after the Second World War, was taken away of life and property.
At the very beginning of the last war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, on April 27, 1992, the building of the Olympic Museum was shelled, and in the fire that broke out, the building and numerous valuable exhibits were damaged. However, most of the exhibits were saved and transferred to the Zetra Olympic Complex, where in 2004, on the occasion of marking the 20th anniversary of the XIV ZOI, the "new" Olympic Museum of BiH was opened.
The Fundus Museum was rebuilt with donations of numerous subjects related to the theme of the XIV Winter Olympic Games, and the process of reconstruction of the building of the Olympic Museum of BiH is in progress.
Old Jewish temple
The building was built in 1580, when the Romanian beglerbeg Sijamuš-paša ordered the construction of a large residential building for the Sephardic Jews who arrived in Sarajevo in 1566 after their expulsion from Spain. The Sephards brought with them their customs as well as one of the most important manuscripts from the 15th century, the famous Sarajevo Hagada.
Documents and moving objects in the museum testify about the life and the creation of another nation that has a significant share in the overall historical picture of this country.
The construction began at the site of the then Sijavush Pasha dairy or the Grand Lobby, so that by the end of the 16th century the first synagogue, the Old Jewish Temple, would be created in the Great Hall.
The building was badly damaged in the fires of 1697 and 1788, and was rebuilt in 1821.
The last prayer from the Old Temple was heard six days after the April occupation of Sarajevo in 1941. During the Second World War, the synagogue was turned into a prison, and then a warehouse. Since 1966, the synagogue after restoration has become the Museum of the Jews of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Novak's cave is located on the steep cliffs of Romanija, and it was named after the old folk hero Starina Novak. Starina Novak is a historical figure from the second half of the 16th century, originating from Smederevo. The cave is at an altitude of 1515 m.a.s.l. Below Novak's cave are the Careve vode, the most famous spring in the area. Next to the spring is Carigradski Drum, a road which was one of the most important routes of the Turkish Empire in Bosnia for a time. The tourist destination starts from the hunting lodge in Majdan or from the hut in Stajna, which is only 4-5 km from Pale. According to the saying, one who washes in the spring becomes five years younger.
The National Museum
The National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina engages in museological, scientific, educational, and publishing activities, which determine its organisational structure.
The National Museum Library is a specialised scientific library with around 300,000 volumes (books, magazines, newspapers). Work on its founding commenced with the establishment of the Museum Society in Sarajevo in 1884, when it was conceived as the first scientific library in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It started operations in 1888, and when the museum moved in 1913 to its new buildings, the library moved into its present-day facilities.
HISTORICAL MUSEUM OF B&H
The Museum was founded on November 28, 1945 as a "Museum of National Liberation in Sarajevo", according to the law passed by the then Presidency of the People's Assembly of Bosnia and Herzegovina as the earth's institutions under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Education of the People's Government of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Today's name The Historical Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina comes into force in 1994, when the Museum extends the scope of work on the history of B&H since the arrival of Slavs on the Balkan Peninsula to the contemporary and independent Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The Olympic Committee of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter OK BiH) was established on June 4, 1992. After the establishment and first appearance of athletes of our country at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, the official recognition by the International Olympic Committee (hereinafter IOC), which made its decision at the meeting of its Executive Committee in Monaco 24.09. 1993.
After the establishment and international recognition, the Olympic Committee of Bosnia and Herzegovina was on 08.12.2002. It was registered in the Register of the Ministry of Justice as the first sports organization in which the national sports federations are joining. By the entry into this register, as well as the signature of the Lausanne Declaration of 28 July 1999, the Olympic Committee of Bosnia and Herzegovina is constituted in the umbrella sports body of the state of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
OK BiH as a member of the IOC is obliged to adhere to the rules of the Olympic Charter, the IOC Statute, the IOC Code of Ethics, the World Anti-Doping Code, the Joint Statement from Lausanne, the Law on Associations and Foundations of B&H and the Sports Act Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The professional service of OK B&H has 6 permanent employees divided by departments: Department of Sport, Department of International Relations, Department of Administration, Department of Finance, Department of Marketing, Department of Arts and Culture.